AAFS Fruit Identification
Apple/Fruit identification is a skill that takes years to develop and
certain apple characteristics are required for more accurate ID.
Here are some things to do and note when you bring fruit to the
- What do you know of the history of the tree?
- What is the size of the tree?
- Is the tree growing in a row or in a random area?
- What is the elevation and location of the tree?
- When collecting fruit:
- Collect fruit from various parts of the tree,
top, middle, bottom, inside, outside, for a total of 5 or 6 samples per tree, if possible.
- Leave stem attached to apple.
- Do not wash fruit or clean in any way.
- Store in refrigerator until AAFS.
-Back to AAFS page