View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Apple Reference Book 
Post Apple Reference Book
I attended the scion exchange with my father, who is a member and 85 years old,along with my two brothers and sister along with their children. We look forward to the scion exchange every year and had a great time. Thanks for the great hospitality.
At the scion exchange section, the experts behind the table were using an apple reference book that I have never seen before. Could you tell me what the title and author of this book is? Could you tell me where I could get such a book. Thanks again.
Steve K.

Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:35 pm

I don't know for sure, but I would guess "Apples of New York" or "Apples for the 21st Century"

Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:40 pm

For those interested in this topic, I'd mention that "Apples For the 21st Century" only lists 50 cultivars of choice and interest is oriented mostly towards the commercial grower. And "Apples of New York" lists over a thousand I think, but since it was published in 1905 it misses everything which has been introduced since then - many of which are covered in the other book! I've encountered at least 2 different websites which had scanned versions of the rare "Apples of New York", so searching for it on the web should locate it if you don't want to spend the money for a used or reprint of it.
Dave

Thu May 31, 2007 7:59 am
Profile YIM

I have the "Fruit, Berry and Nut Inventory" from the Seed Savers Exchange. It lists all types of fruits and nuts with their fruit and tree descriptions, disease resistances or weaknesses, USDA Zones, ripening time, and nursery sources. There are hundreds of apples listed. You can purchase the book direct from Seed Savers Exchange or through any online book seller. ISBN number: 1882424573

Thu May 31, 2007 7:43 pm

For the best illustrated apple variety books I've found are The Best Apples to Buy and Grow from Brooklyn Botanic Garden, and Apples by Roger Yepsen. Between them we've been able to identify most antique apples we find in our local mountains.

An Amazon search will locate both for you.

USDA Zone 10a

Thu May 31, 2007 8:41 pm
Profile WWW

Yes, I agree - those are the other 2 books I'd found at our local library which I found helpful, though since I wasn't attempting to identify apples but figure out what cultivars to start 4 or 5 trees next spring; coming from a different perspective! And when I found a cheap new but shelf worn copy of Apples For the 21st Century, decided it had the most useful all around info for what I was doing.
Dave

Thu May 31, 2007 9:13 pm
Profile YIM

Joan Morgan's "Book of Apples" is an excellent book, descriptions and tasting notes on 2000+ apple cultivars, she's working on one for Pears.

Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:33 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]