View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Meadow Vole Damage 

Post Re: Meadow Vole Damage
- most manufactures will claim their stuff's too old shortly after you’ve purchased it - likely after having told you it will keep forever before I don’t know. Mine’s in a cool, dark and dry environment, twist-tied in its original bag inside its plastic tub – I’ll keep it till it’s gone, if it takes ten years. - or sell/give it to my neighbors - to keep the varmints from migrating back!

I’ve no idea about gophers - I think their exit holes are mainly kick-outs for excess tunnel dirt. I doubt they’d return to feed - wait a minute, I bate my antique gopher blaster, usually with a piece of carrot, apple or potato; maybe that’s not necessary? I’ve heard they’ll simply return to seal an open-ended hole - thus triggering my device by accident.

Gophers seem skittish, I don’t know if digging down to a tunnel and loading it with pellets would tempt them to return and feed..? It also seems like they’d need about ten times as much, but you’ve got that! Go-pher it!

Tell us how you do :mrgreen:

Mon May 11, 2009 5:13 pm

Gopher traps work pretty good if you handle them only with gloves on. They are so wary that I have to use a propane torch to get all the scent of any previously killed gophers off the traps.

And they adore the smell of freshly crushed Queen Anns Lace (wild carrot) set just beyond the far side of the trap!(closest to us, not closest to them) Other fleshy native roots that they eat are also useful for baiting. I always cover the my dig-out hole with a black tarp so there is no light to make them wary. They come out seized in the trap the size of half-grown cats. Huge.

Tue May 12, 2009 7:51 am

This response is in lieu of playing phone-tag with new HOS board member, Jodi G., who asked if the Quintox was working on my Meadow Voles and would I do it again? In short, Yes!

After wiping out the multitudes with a couple doses to every hole (around two acres worth), I did my latest follow-up in August of 2009. There were several active clans who had on average 5 holes, generally under fruit trees; either feeding directly on their roots or utilizing their shade I suspected. It took very little of my remaining (original) order of Quintox to clean them up.

After that single application - no more activity! And, no adverse effects on wild or domesticated creatures. I suspect I’d likely missed a few holes but assume the owls took them out, due to the fact all vole activity had ceased.

I feel the problems and damage from these Meadow Voles is one of the least understood or reported problems in the Willamette Valley of Oregon - at least for the Home Orchardist. Out of sight - out of mind is likely the reaction of most. I may have mentioned in this thread walking an orchard last year and listening to the owners describe how poorly their 8 to 10 year old fruit trees were doing. They were stunned as I pointed out the vole hole-riddled ground around their most sickly trees

Quintox works ...if they’d like to mail me a complementary tub for recommending it – I’ll take it! Otherwise, this testimony is strictly due to my prior losses and the near complete control of these pests. So, Jodi, go for it 8) And, thanks for stepping up to the HOS Board.

Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:56 am

Quintox update: Quintox is no longer manufactured; it has been replaced by Terad3

I just spoke with Pro Pest Products (1-800-476-3368) she™ said Terad3 is a new product as of December, 2009 and that it meets the same standards as did Quintox “such as non-transferability to non-target pests. I believe she said it’s made by the same company.

Here is the Pro Pest / Do-It-Yourself Pest Control Inc. online product link: http://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/s ... ria=terad3

Here is their description of Terad3: TERAD3 Ag Pellets is the first and only rodenticide in pellet form approved by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for organic production. With its unique active ingredient, Vitamin D3, TERAD3 Ag Pellets can be used by farmers operating under the guidelines of the USDA National Organic Program (NOP) to control rats and mice. No secondary poisoning for birds of prey.

Feel free to do your homework, but when/if I need more, it looks as if I’ll be ordering Terad3

Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:17 pm

This is a great topic. Thanks for spreading the news, Viron. I didn't even notice the damage that they had done to my fruit trees until you guys wrote about it and I looked to see what had happened. Now I'm trying to be vigilant to keep the mulch away from the trunk and spreading the news to other gardeners.
Thanks
John S
PDX OR

Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:57 pm

I really need solution to my vole problem but this web page says:
Quote:
TERAD3 Ag Pellets, with its EPA-approved label, can be used in all types of organic production, including farming, animal production, warehousing/storage and food processing.

However, it cannot be used in the fields or orchards where crops are growing TERAD3 Ag Pellets offers organic growers the low hazard benefits of the active ingredient, Vitamin D3, in a pelleted bait.

The product label says:
Quote:
USE RESTRICTIONS: This product may only be used to control Norway rats, roof rats and house mice
in and around agricultural buildings. This includes swine, poultry, cattle, and dairy facilities, and food
storage buildings and warehouses.
All bait placements must be inside or within 50 feet of buildings. All baits placed in USDA- inspected
facilities must be in tamper-resistant bait stations. Do not place bait in areas where there is a possibility of
contaminating food or feed or surfaces that come in direct contact with food or feed.

This doesn't sound approved in orchards and especially not in my vegetable garden where my biggest vole problem is.

Please tell me I'm misinterpreting this as I have a serious vole problem.

Mike

Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:10 am

Mike,

Sounds like you’re dealing with a garden; my experience is with yard and orchard - and a product called Quintox. I’ll treat near my vegetable garden, but not inside it; though I’ve little fear of ingesting any/or enough of this product to harm me or others.

But I’m not the expert, only stating my experience while admitting I’d (though the price has increased by nearly a third) do the same with this replacement product.

Here’s the distributor’s toll free # One, eight-hundred, four, seven, six, three, three, six, eight. If your questions are too legal or intense, I suspect you’ll be referred to the manufacturer. If your questions make them sweat, they’ll likely recommend you not use their product. Your call

Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:14 pm

This is a great topic. Thanks for spreading the news, Viron.

John, you’re welcome - sure wish this forum had been up and running back in my formative years, though tagging along on countless orchard tours kinda did the same thing.

Unfortunately, mulch seems a vole’s playground. Insulated, and providing cover that’s likely what gave them a great start around my trees. Now I keep that area bare though water deep. Their main target seems the roots of fruit trees and vines all kinds! Either they’re constantly feeding on the roots or using the cover for shade and protection (or all the above).

I’ve also got multiple owl perches, and if they're found inside a garden, an eight-horse Troybilt or my favorite shovel can till em up or dig em out. What’s amazing is to find everyone I know in rural areas over-run by these vermin. Had one describe the farmer’s trick of deep-disking them but that doesn’t work so well in an orchard. Another, with a multitude of roaming cats, doesn’t know why their cats aren’t controlling them. From what I’ve read, they’re simply out of control!

As I’d described, an organic sister-in-law made the effort of looking this stuff up one rainy day while discussing our damage. We were excited to learn it wasn’t transferable to other creatures; her, cats; me, owls. As Home Orchardist’s it’s done the trick! - now should I buy up a pallet before it’s banned :lol:

Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:46 pm

I had a great time leading a pruning demonstration for the Yamhill County Master Gardeners today, south of Lafayette, Oregon. As we walked from one orchard to another folks began recognizing the grass-chewed openings of meadow voles - which lead to the discussion here.

As someone squeezed the name Quintox out of me -- I quickly informed those following the conversation that it’s now something else, if basically the same thing, though I couldn’t remember the name. I also suggested they find this thread and that I’d bring it to the top.

As several of us walked and talked I was reminded of the poster, mike (above), and let them know this poison was not to be scattered around the orchard but placed down the vole holes - A collective ‘Dah’ seemed the response. The apparent conflicting labeling is likely attributed to, 1) this product appears to be sold in bate packs that are scattered inside or near warehouses. 2) Vole control is apparently a separate application in which they are either unaware of or don’t consider profitable enough to market for.

Otherwise Terad3 is the stuff you Master Gardeners. And, as assumed, placed down the obvious vole tunnels it would be next to impossible for any other creature to consume - the good part being - once it’s inside the vole it is not transferred to predators. Enjoy :mrgreen:

Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:58 pm

Deja vu -- Upon concluding this year’s pruning demonstration for the Yamhill County Master Gardeners near Grand Island yesterday (a different location from last year), I again noticed and noted Meadow Vole tunnels near our practice orchard - After suggesting any of the 20 participants not associated with the Home Orchard Society at least check out this forum - I also said I’d bring a couple of forum topics to the top so here’s the first.

- This is the second of two pages on this topic, having evolved from its first posting in February of 2009 do note - the product name has changed. Otherwise, it’s apparently been working. And, any of our members with current information to add please do 8)

Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:19 am

Viron -- it may be deja vu all over again.

In '08 and '09 I had a big problem with meadow voles but the Quintox I obtained in '09 did a great job of getting rid of the little buggers. Last year I had no problem with them whatsoever.

This year however they seemed to have returned with a vengence. I have just given the area around my huckleberries a second "dose" and will be inspecting that area and other parts around my fruit trees and gardens on a very regular basis.

Hopefully I can get rid of them early enough so that bumblebees can utilize the empty burrows for their nests.

Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:14 pm

Lee, the first year I took them on with Quintox I likely applied it 3 different times. Last year I hit them once or twice. There were far fewer of them the second year - but from wherever they apparently migrate it was obvious some were attempting to set up house again.

This year I’ve noticed very few holes - but made my first application a couple days ago. What really bothered me was finding serious chewing at the base of several of my fig clumps! They’ve not griddled anything - and there aren’t many holes, maybe 2 or 3, but they’re right at the base of the figs. Now they’ve something new to chew on :twisted:

What had me looking over my figs was finding the same chewing by the same varmints at an orchard I pruned last weekend. With five fig trees, the area with the most vole activity had a hole with massive chewing right along side the trunk of one of their fig trees (their figs are pruned to beautiful trees, as opposed to my multi-stemmed-clumps).

I e-mailed them a link to this thread - and here’s what I just found:

- The trees look great and thank you for a job well done. I know the crop will be small but that's ok this year.

I ordered the Terad 3, which replaced Quintox (due to new EPA regulations). The new product works with Vit D levels and is non-toxic to birds. I had to order 6 pounds for almost $47. Hope to sell off a few pounds. Can't wait for it to get here...sometime this week.

If you know of anyone who needs a pound...please let me know. I have a pretty accurate scale. $7.71 per pound.

See you in town someday soon.
Susan

So how’s this place for a resource :P -- Stay on em, I doubt we’ll ever eradicate them, but another orchard I was in last week had been peppered with vole holes two years ago ... especially near their cherry trees, which looked quite sickly. They ordered and used the same stuff - now all signs of vole activity have disappeared as I enjoyed watching Ravens and hawks through the day from their country orchard!

Hey; Hopefully I can get rid of them early enough so that bumblebees can utilize the empty burrows for their nests. -- or Yellowjackets 8)

Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:03 pm

For your consideration:

1) "With its EPA-approved label, TERAD3 Ag BLOX can be used in all types of organic production, including farming, animal production, warehousing/storage and food processing. It can be used in and around agricultural buildings, including swine, poultry, cattle and dairy facilities. However, it cannot be used in the fields or orchards where crops are growing." http://doyourownpestcontrol.com/Terad3rodentbait.htm

2) I just spoke with a supplier in Portland to confirm the above. His response to "How is this supposed to be applied?" was a) if there is any chance of any non-target species getting to it, it needs to be placed in a bait station and b)if there is no chance of non-target species getting to it (ie, in an enclosed crawl space of a house) then it can be used without bait stations.

FYI.

Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:10 pm

We’ve had that comment before and it seems that the manufacturer has no idea the product is being dropped down vole holes... But since voles are the only inhabitants of their holes, there appears to be no problem. It’s not being scattered across open ground or tossed out in bait packets, it’s being applied directly down the open tunnels.

I wonder if that harsh sounding warning is to keep filbert growers, for example, from scattering it throughout their orchards to eliminate squirrels? That’s the only local outdoor poisoning I’ve witnessed - and I believe - (whatever the product) was set inside wire cages - Most often accused of being an En(Viron)mentalist by friends – I’m perfectly fine with the continuing use of my Quintox™ (I’ve still got the old stuff) as described.

Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:32 pm

Greetings, GOT VOLES? MAYBE A NEW AND IMPROVED IDEA HERE?I recently attended the 2011 scion exchange and brought a friend to join the HOS. Asked the right questions and got the right answers; LOOK AT THE HOS WEBSITE FORUM!

Now I want to return the favor.....It may actually already be listed earlier in this forum or another;
Instead of dropping a few pellets of the safer Terad3 down many, many holes.......
A timber company forester recommended, make 16" +/- tubes out of PVC pipe or any some such weatherproof pipe like product (approx. 1-2 inches in inside diameter, not big enough for squirrels, RIGHT!), duct tape one end closed, put some pellets inside and place on a slight downward slope (open end down to keep the rain out) holding it in place with a couple of HEAVY GUAGE wire hoops pushed into the ground, sort of like croquet wickets over the "tube".
Probably best to use small amounts of poison and check often!

I believe that comparatively the prices are quite similar if not less expensive to go with the Terad3 product, less packaging than the "toxic to everybody" varieties. I'm sharing a 6lb tub of pellets with another small orchardist...$23.50 apiece, and hopefully no harm to the other wildlife.

And another interesting note; these voles have like 8+ litters a year, so I have been told.

Good luck and be well,
Stacy @ Eville

Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next