[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Orchard Society Forums - View topic - Can anyone identify this problem with an apple tree? (pics)
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Can anyone identify this problem with an apple tree? (pics) 

Post Can anyone identify this problem with an apple tree? (pics)
Anyone know what these are and how to get rid of them? The little dots look like insects, but are quite hard and hard to pick off. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:40 pm

Post Re: Can anyone identify this problem with an apple tree? (pics)
Pardon my myopia, but I can't see what you're talking about. Do you mean those black, sausage shaped marks in the first picture? I can't see anything at all on the second picture.
What makes you think they're insects? Do you see legs, eyes, antennae? Do they move? Do they bleed when you squish 'em?

Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:35 am

Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:44 pm

From these pictures I can't tell what they are, or even if they're living organisms or not. However, I would not think they are a problem. It could be just something hiding or hibernating under the bark. It doesn't seem like any apple tree pest that I know of. If they were on the leaves or new growth, that would be different. But I'm speaking from a Pacific Northwest perspective. What part of the country are you in?

Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:23 am

Hello! It is illness of rind tree. For medical treatment of tree it is necessary to do solution from earth and ash and to rub out sickly places.

Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:11 am

The bark and tree looks healthy to me. I know it’s tempting to peel away the up-turned sections of mature bark, perhaps thinking it ‘helps’ the tree, or just out of curiosity as to what might be living under them – but don’t... I’ve noticed it’s a naturally occurring condition of mature fruit trees. I suspect it helps regulate their temperature while shading the tree from sunscald. Removing these layers is likely akin to peeling off layers of your skin…

Now that you’ve exposed ‘whatever’ the marks are (I can’t make them out either) to the elements, keep an eye on them. I suspect they’re ‘tracks’ of a chewing insect incapable of penetrating the depth of this otherwise beautiful looking apple tree’s bark. As suggested, if you find unhealthy conditions on it leaves, after they’ve emerged, worry. And keep us posted if you’d like; just put your camera on the ‘macro’ setting and try again :wink:

Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:47 am

They look like what was on my asian pear tree. They had eaten up the bark and part of the cambium layer around the trunk before I stopped them with some permitherin. I have no idea what they are though.

Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]