[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Orchard Society Forums - View topic - Apple wood for carving or ??
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Apple wood for carving or ?? 

Post Apple wood for carving or ??
Today I cut down a 25 year old decorative crab apple tree (it produces crab apples about 1/2" diameter). But as I was cutting I thought maybe there is some woodworker out there who would want to make something out of the main trunk section. So I cut it off above the main trunk, to keep it "alive". If someone wants it I will cut it off at the ground.

The trunk is about 10" diameter. At about 4' it forks. Total height about 5'.

I have done woodcarving with apple wood in the past, it is beautiful to work with. But I don't have time for woodcarving right now.

I could bring it to the scion exchange in March, or you could drop by (Camas), or meet me at lunchtime at work (west Vancouver).

If I don't get any takers in the next week or so, I'll just set it aside and maybe do something with it someday.

Dave

Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:11 pm

Post Re: Apple wood for carving or ??
Or you could start smoking some pork! Apple smoke is second only to plumwood smoke.

Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:01 pm

“Or you could start smoking some pork! Apple smoke is second only to plumwood smoke.”

...just don’t use a chainsaw with an automatic oiler to make your chips … my dad and uncle learned oil and fish don’t mix! My brother began running pieces of apple wood through his table saw with a ..wide spacer blade on (I can’t remember it’s name) then collected the shavings for smoking. Much better 8)

Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:51 am

You mean like a dado blade Viron?

Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:31 pm

Yes, a dado blade ~ it seemed to make powder out of the apple wood but apparently it smoldered well enough to ‘not ruin’ my dad and uncle’s next batch of smoked fish. The shame with their previous ‘oil mistake’ was that they’d used a homemade smoker that held up to eight salmon… After discovering their need, my brother began saving/ producing alder and cherry as well ...don’t think they ever used plum, even for fun :P

Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:53 pm

Hello, i was wondering if the log is still available. i am interested in carving and would love to make a bowl and a few other things out of it. i try to go to the exchange every year and i am going to be there this year. thanks for offering the wood. get back to me and ill pm you my information if that works.

Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:02 pm

Just getting around to posting a photo. I put a couple of 1-gallon pots next to it for scale.

Thanks for the smoker suggestions, but I don't have a smoker.

Eithieus - I'll send you a private message.

Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:21 pm

Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:09 pm

Thanks for the smoker suggestions, but I don't have a smoker.[/quote]

1. Preburn a tin can (Gets all the glue and varnish gone)
2. Load with lengths of apple wood cut to fit
3. Cover top of can with foil or lid from a bigger can
4. Toss on coals of your summer BBQ
5. Admire copius smoke generated
6. Decline neighbors offer to call the fire department.

Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:16 pm

Davem, pm sent

Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]