View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Fruit thinning work party @ HOS Arboretum Saturday, May 16th 

Post Fruit thinning work party @ HOS Arboretum Saturday, May 16th
Hey everyone -

It is coming up to mid-May, and that means apple and pear thinning at the Home Orchard Society Arboretum!

Come out to Oregon City this Saturday, May 16th, from 9-3 pm. Join us for all or part of the day.

Bring your scissors or hand pruners, a sack lunch, maybe any little bottles of liquid delight stored up from last years' harvests. I will provide some fruity, sweet baked goods! (The weather even has a chance of being decent.)

Feel free to bring your kids, your loved ones, your dog, etc.

Thinning is easy, fun work that is a great opportunity to work alongside people - lots of time for chatting, visiting and learning!! Let your fingers do the thinning....

See you saturday,
Karen Tillou
Home Orchard Society Arboretum site manager
email arboretum@homeorchardsociety.org if you need directions....

Mon May 11, 2009 9:48 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Fruit thinning work party @ HOS Arboretum Saturday, May 16th
Thinning seems a bit premature just yet. I've still got bloom on many of my trees and I usually don't thin until the fruit is larger. Thinning before June drop seems counterproductive.

Wed May 13, 2009 5:53 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Fruit thinning work party @ HOS Arboretum Saturday, May 16th
i like to get in and thin early - we have been doing it mid may for the last 4 years and are seeing formerly biennial bearing trees start to do some off year bearing... if you thin before june drop, the trees put a bit more oompf into producing next year's fruit buds. after june drop, thinning won't effect the following year's buds, only the size/quality of the current year's fruits.

plus, there is always too much pruning to do after june drop to get any thinning done.

Wed May 13, 2009 10:02 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]