View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 where to get a grafting knife? 

Post where to get a grafting knife?
I was able to trade work days...so... I am able to attend the grafting class on 2/28! Yeah! :P
Wondering where to quickly buy a grafting knife in Portland or on the internet?
Thanks in advance for any help. mary

Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:29 pm

Post Re: where to get a grafting knife?
Good question… Decide if you’d like one ‘honed’ or beveled on ‘one side’ only. Or, like my grafting knife, on both sides. One-sided knives cut different than two-sided knives. If you look straight at the sharpened edge of the blade, I believe a ‘right-handed’ grafting knife will be beveled on the ‘right side.’ Obviously the reverse for a lefty.

I’ve played with all three ...and found a ‘one-sided’ knife trickier to control. It digs in fast, thus makes a shallow, or ‘less lengthy’ or tapered cut. I like the lengthy cuts (for more surface contact), and the additional control I feel with a ‘double edged’ grafting knife. I’ve heard it said you can buy a one side beveled knife, then grind it to ‘both edges,’ but with stainless steel, that’s not easy or practical.

Also, decide if you want a ‘fixed handle’ or folding blade. I use both, but feel the longer lasting knife will be the fixed, or single blade with steel often running the length of the wooden handles. A budding flange or ‘sharpened protrusion’ from the top end of the blade can be useful if you plan to do a lot of budding, or in the way if you’re not… I’d skip it.

...I’m looking around some… I’ve always thought they’re a general ripoff price wise… I found mine years ago for around $5 at a Farmer’s Co Op, works great (Japanese Stainless Steel), and is so rigid I’ll use a hammer to pound it into stock for a cleft graft.

OK, here’s a decent deal on a folder: http://obcnw.com/victorinoxgraftingknif ... andle.aspx ...though no mention of any beveling or ‘reviews’... I’d call and ask.

And this looks as ‘cheap’ as any for a fixed handled knife: http://obcnw.com/tinagraftingknife2-14s ... ength.aspx ...also lacking info on the bevel…

This would probably last forever: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zenport-K106-Gr ... 0568762806 ...super cheap, including shipping…

I’ve had no luck with Portland Nursery’s product search box, or Wilco Farm Stores -- do those little boxes ever work?! ...well, that’s my quick advice Mary :roll:

Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:14 pm

Thank you very much for all the info and links.

I think I will get the victorinox to start. Will probably not be happy with just one type but it is a start. I watched a couple of you tube videos and it seems that many people have different knives for different jobs, woods, etc. Very interesting stuff!!

Thanks again.

Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:01 pm

If you ask 5 experienced grafters, you'll get more than 5 good answers.

I noticed that Big 5 has sales on knives sometimes. Really cheap, like a $65 knife for $8. That's where I bought mine.

I like a heavy knife for the outside cut, and I use a utility/xacto knife for the inside cut.

I think it just has to be a quality knife that can take sharpening. Cheap knives don't take it and aren't worth it.
My two cents.
JohN S
PDX OR

Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:59 pm

Merrydancer,

I'll be assisting at the grafting classes this weekend. I think I have each of those types of knives that Viron linked.

I'll try to remember to bring them and am happy to let you test them during the hands-on portion of the grafting class as long as you absolve me of any liability :)

I prefer the fixed blade Tina wood handle, but it is more of a hassle to store and transport.

The knives they provide from the school for the class were once good grafting knives but have seen so much use and sharpening that 70% of the blade is probably gone and they transition too quickly from sharp to thick and offer less control.

Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]