View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:00 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 chickens and my espaliered apples 

Post chickens and my espaliered apples
Friends,
I have 5 semi dwarf Golden delicious spur fruiting apples from Stark Bros which I plan to espalier around a new vegetable garden.
I wonder how far apart you would recommend them being? But my real concern are our chickens, which we let periodically rove over the gardens. How high must the first row of branches be so that they don't eat the apples? Will they?
Thank you for your expertise on this glorious false spring morning on Chehalem Mountain.

Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:48 am

Post Re: chickens and my espaliered apples
What rootstock are the trees on? That along with the variety will determine their vigor. I don't know how vigorous golden delicious is. Someone on the forum will though. My espaliered trees are 10-12 ft apart and they should have been a minimum of 12 I think. They are on M9 rootstock and I'm doing the horizontal tier style. It seems like far apart when they are small, but they need to room to spread out branches on either side. Chickens may or may not bother them and no amount of height will stop them if they are curious. You're first tier may belong to them. My first tier is 2ft off the ground and then 18 in between tiers.

Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:23 pm

I think Golden Delicious is moderately vigorous so you can probably go by whatever is typical for the particular root stock that it is grafted to.

Unless the "spur" is a sport with different growth characteristics, which could be a bit more precocious and cause it to slow its vigor earlier.

Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:56 pm

In my experience, yes, they will destroy whatever apples they can reach. They may even resort to jumping up to peck at apples they can't reach standing on the ground.

Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:34 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 4 posts ]