View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 2014-2015 Asian Pear/Apple Storage Report 

Post 2014-2015 Asian Pear/Apple Storage Report
Hi:

As my fruit trees are starting to show buds for 2015, I thought I'd give a report on my Asian Pear and apple storage from my large harvest last fall. I have a 3-way combo Asian pear (Korean Giant, Shinseiki, and Chojuro), a dwarf Rubinette apple tree, and I had (note past tense) a Goldrush tree (M26). (The Goldrush broke at the graft during a wind storm while it was loaded with fruit.) Even though the Goldrush apples were not ripe, most were sized up so I thought I'd see if they still ripened off of the tree. I combined a variety of methods to utilize all of the fruit: 1) For obviously insect damaged fruit, I cooked it with spices and either blended it into a puree or left as chunks and froze in jars; 2) put as much whole fruit as I could in the spare little fridge; 3) purchased a counter-top dehydrator; 4) focused on eating the varieties of fruit that don't store as well; 5) gave fruit to neighbors. Since the Goldrush were not nearly ripe when I collected them, I kept them in the basement which is typically cooler than the rest of the house and hoped that they would gradually ripen. I rotated fruit into the small fridge whenever possible.

It is now near March, and I am still eating some "variation" of my last years harvest. I finished the "fresh" Asian pears a while ago, but I still have the frozen variety. I had some "losses" with fresh fruit since I would find some that had gone "mushy" though I tried to pull them out before they were too far gone. The Goldrush apples have ripened and I still have some in the fridge though they would have probably benefited from more "tree time". I like the variety enough that I definitely want a replacement tree but I will be sure to stake it this time! I was surprised to find a few Rubinette apples tucked away in storage that survived okay. They usually don't last as well as Goldrush.

Is anyone else still eating/using the fruits of their labors from last year?

redberry

Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:40 pm

Post Re: 2014-2015 Asian Pear/Apple Storage Report
Great post, Redberry.

I am still eating several of my apples. Generally, I eat the ones that look pretty bad. I still have many GOldrush left. I think the next biggest group is Thomas Jefferson's favorite apple, Spitenburg. I also have many black twig and there's a relation to NOrthern Spy that produced a lot. I can't remember the name.

My Korean Giant did the same thing as your Gold rush did, and then a couple of years later, my Karmijn da Sonnaville did it. Bummer.

John S

Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]