View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Codling Moth Report 

Post Codling Moth Report
This year I tried Spinosad sprays to control codling moth. I wanted to report our experience. We sprayed 3 times, on June 9, June 23, and July 20, using spinosad (Monterey Garden Spray) + Summer Oil. The sprays were timed using a degree day model starting March 1, then tracking temps to calculate 450 DD for 1st spray, then 21 days after that , then 21 days later. We used the nearest weather station to track temps (Bellingham airport). Last year, even tho we bagged the fruit, we lost nearly 50% to codling moth (bags on too late). This year, we have less than 1% loss. Our neighbors have 40%-50% loss. We think this is a success. And it is organic! We did have a few fruit that showed a sting, and cutting open the fruit we found the larvae had entered and then died, so there is some delay of action. I had considered Last Call, but it was very expensive. For our 40 tree orchard, the spinosad sprays ran about $40. And if we had bought the commercial form, Entrust, the spray cost per tree would be about 25% of that cost (tho we would have to buy enough to last about 5 years). I don't know if anyone else has tried this for codling moth control, but I am ready to recommend it!

Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]