[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Orchard Society Forums - View topic - question about grafting
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 question about grafting 

Post question about grafting
I have a tree (I think it is some sort of nut tree) in front of my house, it produces a lot of small fruits that look like small nuts or coffee beans, but as far as I know, they are not edible. I'll like to graft a branch or two of this tree with something edible, basically with any compatible fruit. Can you recommend something that could be successful for grafting? I can do some research and try to find the name of the tree to narrow the possibilities. I've asked a few people but they were no experts and could not identify the tree. Thank you very much.

Nelson

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:47 pm

Post Re: question about grafting
If you can figure out what it is (or maybe post a photo of the leaves or flowers), we might be able to figure it out.

http://www.plantworking.com

Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:09 pm
Profile WWW

Thank you very much for your reply. I have attached some doctored pictures from last year where the leaves are visible. When it blossoms, the flowers are white. The tree is in Alexandria, VA.

Attachments:
Tree4a.JPG
Tree4a.JPG [ 136.68 KiB | Viewed 2972 times ]
Tree3a.jpg
Tree3a.jpg [ 129.11 KiB | Viewed 2972 times ]
Tree2a.jpg
Tree2a.jpg [ 75.82 KiB | Viewed 2972 times ]
Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:16 am

Any good Nurseries around you..? I’d call to find when their best ID employee’s around, cut off a small branch with some leaves and get it to them before they wilt. I can’t make anything out from here…

You’ve got a lot of grafting potential there! Each of those limbs are nice sized, but you’d need some dormant scions of ‘whatever’ to place on them... Also, you’d likely need to remove a fair amount of the upper foliage so as to get the necessary sun to the grafts -- to allow them to compete and turn into viable limbs of whatever.

Nuts can also be tricky to graft… many are done quite early in the season as they ‘bleed’ so bad. I’m still wondering why my attempts (years ago) to graft productive “Filberts” onto native ‘Hazel nuts’ never took… Anyone else try that? Thought I’d pull a “Johnny Hazelnut” and graft some fat production nuts onto some natives in the ‘neighborhood’ – no go :?

Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:00 am

Thank you for the advice, that is a great idea :!: . I'll wait a few more weeks until the leaves start to show up and take a small branch to the nearby nurseries to try to ID this guy.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]