[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Orchard Society Forums - View topic - $1.50 Rootstocks available at the HOS Arboretum
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 $1.50 Rootstocks available at the HOS Arboretum 

Post $1.50 Rootstocks available at the HOS Arboretum
In the aftermath of the Fruit Propagation Fair, all of the unsold rootstocks get carted off to the HOS Arboretum in Oregon City, where they are heeled in to await a new home.
We had a lot of rootstocks left over this year, and they are for sale at the great price of $1.50 each!!
They are available for pickup on tuesdays or saturdays from 9-3pm at the arboretum in oregon city.
email me: arboretum at homeorchardsociety dot org to confirm the supply you are looking for.
Come take some rootstocks of our hands and give them a good home!!! Please!!
thanks,
karen

Follows is the availability list; most of what we have is 1/4-3/8" caliper; the quantity follows in parentheses.
for each species, they are listed in rough order of size, from biggest to dwarfingest.

plums:
Marianna 2624 (150+) [this is the biggest caliper, ±1/2", with great roots]
St. Julian A (100+)
Krymsk 1 (40)

Cherries:
Colt (30)
Krymsk 5 (20)

Peach:
Lovell (10)

Pear/Quince:
OHxF 333 (300+)
EMLA Quince C (200+)
OHxF 87 (75+)

Asian Pears:
Pyrus betulifolia (50+)

Apple:
Malus antonovka (15)
M111 (22)
M7 (200+)
M26 (26) these are left 4' tall, grown for budding multiple varieties along their length during budding season to create multi-graft espalier trees
M9 (20)
Bud 9 (75+)
Mark (75+)
M27 (75+)
P22 (200+)

Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:52 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: $1.50 Rootstocks available at the HOS Arboretum
Nice! We had some excellent rootstock this year. Grafting all day – I likely seen samples of it all – possibly the best sized and shaped stock I’ve seen in …14 years of doing that.

What a deal :mrgreen:

Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:18 pm

Phooey. I asked (too late, and without any idea what was actually left) what was going to happen to the collection. It occurs to me that I could use a couple of sticks of each of the cherry rootstock types, get some much-needed practice, and perhaps give new life to a coworker's elderly tree. Is anyone who is located more centrally than the Arboretum going to be going there soon? I don't like driving at the best of times, and I really don't want to drive that far for $6 worth of tree that I'll probably kill.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:54 pm
Profile WWW

Woww, sounds good especially the Krymsk's. The results of (plum) Krymsk1 synonym VVA-1 are very favorable, has many beneficial properties. Over here for the backyard gardener, they are not available, only limited by professionals. This is a bargain. :mrgreen:

Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:17 am

new to this forum and to grafting. would anyone be able to tell me if any of the available rootstocks are seedling/non-dwarfing? I wish to plant full size trees on my property. Thank-you cj

Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:14 pm

nwpinot, they are listed in order from full size to dwarfing. And yes, most of those have at least one full size rootstock.

http://www.plantworking.com

Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:53 pm
Profile WWW

Malus antonovka is said to be a seedling full-sized tree. It’s also an extremely cold hardy rootstock from the former Soviet Union.

Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:15 pm

Thank you for your replies. I had the pleasure to visit the arboretum this week. I got fixed up with rootstocks, a few scions and some good advise to start me on my way. cj

Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:05 pm

Picked up and grafted a dozen M7 (apple) rootstocks with/for a friend yesterday… hadn’t wandered into our Arboretum in years, Karen’s doing a great job …as she was half covered in cow manure from coating the trees with an organic mix :P

The rootstock diameters were perfect… too bad my friend’s scions weren’t. Making up some trees from his childhood homestead, now century old (if neglected) full sized apple trees, the experience reminded me of our scion exchange… picking through older sprigs and popping off emerging buds (he gathered the wood two days ago..) to allow the lateral buds to do their stuff. Just filled in the ‘bud hole’ with some Doc, avoiding the laterals.

I had to remind him, other than the drive to the Arboretum – the rootstock was virtually ‘free’ at $1.50 each – ‘so let’s just go for it’ I recommended! …point being, there’s still plenty of good rootstock left, though the 111 was gone, Karen likes M7, too. So get it while it’s cool :)

Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:55 am

New lab puppy... ate my grafts! I came home to a pile of "fetching sticks" (rootstocks, scions and rubber bands) on my back porch.

I repaired the grafts, repotted and brought them indoors. Surprisingly, they're actually pushing leaves.

I'm impressed with how tough these Antonovka rootstocks are. I'm not sure what the scions are anymore, as the tags were mixed up.

Hopefully, when they grow into trees, the dog will be less a problem.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:16 am

Thanks for the story, NW Pinot. Hope they all work out for you. Give the dog some leather bones to work on. And watch those garden hoses, they are particularly attractive if you paid alot of money for them! If they are cheapies, the dog will not be interested in the least.

So far I am loving the Antonovka too. They have roots like carrots compared to other stocks I have used. Massive.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:34 pm

Are you willing to ship out at all, or is it pick up only?

thanks
Craig

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:34 am

Are these rootstocks bareroot? Potted?

Could I buy rootstocks right now and then graft them next spring?

I don't know how to graft, but I'm willing to learn.

Thu May 06, 2010 11:02 am

Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:33 pm

Hello, I would like to buy/obtain the pear called Passe Crassane. Can anybody direct me to a nursery or individual that can supply me with it. Thanks. My e-mail address is lokiwhite@dishmail.net ---I live in northern California.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next