View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 brown marmorated stink bug 

Post Re: brown marmorated stink bug
a new release

http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublications/ ... FS079E.pdf

apparently they are making inroads in Vancouver, Washington as well

Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:28 pm

There appears to be a growing concern that this stinkbug will be a huge problem in just a few years here in the Pacific Northwest.

On the positive side is some of the work being done. The most recent October 2012 issue of the Good Fruit grower dedicates a couple pages to talking about some work that is being done with biocontrols and natural predators for the BMSB (brown marmorated stinkbug). Kim Hoelmer in the USDA Beneficial Insects Introduction Research Unit in Delaware is one such person working on it. Dr. David Biddinger at Pennsylvania State U. is another. And Helmuth Rogg, of the Oregon Dept. of Ag insect pest prevention and management another. All are fervently working on this.

One prospect is a parasitic wasp called "Trissolcus halyomorphae" that has been captured from the country of origin of the pest, China. But there are complications in introducing the predator to the pest here in the U.S., (even though the pest is not native to our country that doesn't necessarily justify introducing the non-native predator)....more work ahead.....i.e., more bugs have to be worked out in the operation.

But there is some hope that there might be remedies before the next bug onslaught hits us.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:48 am

I actually have heard of the parasitoid wasp before. Initially I though it a typo or something; alas that was not the case. the reason being is that its not truly parasitic; thus the label parasitoid. Those wasps are really effective getting read of aphids and other garden pest so I'm wondering just how effective they will be in dealing with stink bug larvae?

Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:12 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2