View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Dwarf fig starts? 

Post Dwarf fig starts?
I'm new to SE Portland and am interested in planting several fig trees in my yard. Does anyone know where I can get some starts of a dwarf fig tree like an Atreano, Black Spanish, or Negronne?

Thanks so much, Kat

Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:42 pm

Post Common fig varieties grown in Portland area
Kat,

Desert King and Brown Turkey varieties grow very well in the Portland area. Desert King produces the first crop in August here and Brown Turkey usually produces a second crop mid-fall.

Marc Camargo
fruit-tree.com nursery
Visit us at http://www.fruit-tree.com, BLOG http://www.fruit-tree.com/blog/
Our motto: "Preservation by dissemination"

Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:46 pm
Pome News Editor

There ar no dwarf figs that I kknow of.
One way to keep them small isw to plant them in a large (3-4 foot diameter) cement tile to inhibit thier root growth.
HOS should have some fig trees and/or cuttings at the Spring Event, Mardch 10, 10-4 at Alder Creek Middle School, corner of HWY 224 and SE Webster Road, Milwaukie, OR

Ted

Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:30 pm

Over 100 varieties of fig scion are available to members of www.seedsavers.org through their yearbook.

Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:10 pm
Profile WWW

One Green World in Mollala sells Black Spanish. They advertise it as a natually small tree. I don't know how big it will get.

Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:36 pm

If you want to be happy, and eat lots of figs, plant the Desert King. It isn't a dwarf. In fact, it is a vigorous grower. But, by prudent pruning, you can keep it a reasonable size. By prudent, I mean savage. Once established, the Desert King is pretty hard to kill, and major pruning won't set it back at all.

It produces big crops of big Juicy figs on last year's new growth.. In some locations, it will produce two crops per year. It might even be possible to dwarf it by growing it in a tub. I've eaten a lot of fig varieties, but in Portland at least, the only ones that were really great, were the Desert King and the Lattarulla.

Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]