View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Suggestions for Early Ripener 

Post Suggestions for Early Ripener
Hi,

I want to add an early apple and have come up with a Duchess of Oldenburg and a Red Gravenstein. Does anyone have experience with either or have other suggestions? I have Crown Prince Rudolf, D'Arcy Spice, Elstar, and Crab Apple and I am in zone 6.

Thanks

Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:00 pm

Post Re: Suggestions for Early Ripener
Wynooche Early is pretty tasty and is supposedly quite disease resistant.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:47 pm

Duchess of Oldenburg is one of the antique apples in our Piper's orchard in Seattle www.pipersorchard.org Decent taste.

Even better taste (to me) and also considered early ripener with good disease resistance is the William's Pride.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:55 pm

Lack of flavor can sometimes be an issue with early varieties. Here are a couple which definitely have good flavors:

Alkmene - Cox crossed with Duchess of Oldenburg.

I also like Akane - Jonathan crossed with Worcester Pearmain, a well-known early-season apple in England.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:27 pm
Profile WWW

My Gravenstein isn’t ‘red,’ it’s a classic ‘older cultivar,’ but for an early apple it has one of the most complex flavor blends I know of. It is a ‘triploid’ and will need pollen from two different early blooming sources; mine are a graft of ‘Transparent’ and an apple named ‘Early Red.’ Both pollinators are far more consistent than the Grav, but as mentioned, their flavor is nearly nonexistent in comparison…

Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:54 am

I am also growing Irish Peach, which is said to be one of the most outstanding early varieties, although I admit to growing it at least partially as a salute to my mom's Irish side of the family. I haven't tasted it yet.
John S
PDX OR

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:46 pm

I like my Gravenstein. It doesn't store and there is a very small time period to harvest each apple. They don't hang on the tree after they ripen. But tasty fruit with decent crisp juicy texture, and they make the best dried apples.

In my opinion, Yellow Transparent is a waste of space. I cook those into my dog food.

I just planted a Zestar. It's reputed to be both early and tasty. I've heard it will even store fairly well. I'm looking forward to tasting the apples.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]