View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 What apple tree is the best for Oklahoma? 

Post What apple tree is the best for Oklahoma?
Hi! I'm new here, just recently moved to Oklahoma (from Alaska!) and dream to grow apples in my garden! My favorite apple is Gala. Can it grow in Tulsa area, Oklahoma? Summer here is really hot, but weather changes very quickly and storms are also quite often, and also there is real cold winter here.. Could you advice any appropriate sort of apples? (I prefer sour and sweet)

Many thanks in advance!

Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:41 pm

Post Re: What apple tree is the best for Oklahoma?
You can probably grow almost any kind of apple.
John S
PDX OR

Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:45 pm

Post Re: What apple tree is the best for Oklahoma?
what is the best apple for Oklahoma? The one that ripens "Sooner"? ha

a more serious answer would be that, as was mentioned, you probably meet the chilling requirements and other requirements for most varieties ......but I personally have to wonder if some varieties are more likely to thrive more particularly in your locale for good flavor, pollination and disease resistance than other varieties and so it would be good to contact a local Oklahoma Extension agent and chat with them.

For example, here in the Northwest we might reccomend a Liberty or Spartan or William's Pride for a disease resistance but in the dry Oklahoma area you wouldn't even have that as the same consideration.

http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare ... 210web.pdf

Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]