View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 When Do I Remove Rubber Bands? 

Post When Do I Remove Rubber Bands?
I bought some bench grafts this spring that came wrapped in rubber bands and then tape. Most of them have leaves growing. When do I take the rubber bands off?

Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:05 pm

Post Re: When Do I Remove Rubber Bands?
The rubber bands are designed to degrade in sunlight (actually ‘hold up’). So, if wrapped completely around the graft, leaving nothing exposed, they do not need an additional layer of anything, including ‘tape.’ Some of our grafters insist on ‘double wrapping’ such grafts with both. I don’t.

The tape will keep the band from degrading – thus they will begin to constrict growth. My suggestion is to run a razor blade or sharp knife down the length of the tape, cutting through both tape & band, if slightly into the tinder bark… Do not ‘peel it’ back, allow it to fall off on its own.

Old Dogs, New Tricks..:?

Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:15 pm

Post Re: When Do I Remove Rubber Bands?
I "won" a Gravenstein apple seedling from volunteering at the Scion Exchange/FPF this spring. It has a rubber band embedded into the tree, which hasn't grown out. The rootstock is showing life now, but I think the scion is dead, and I think the rubber band may be the reason. Too bad:Gravenstein is a great apple. I used an extra firm rubber band last year and for that reason, I cut all of them this spring that made it last year as Viron says with a razor blade. This year I am not using extra firm rubber bands so I think I won't have that problem.
John S
PDX OR

Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]