ionic silver for fruit tree spray. No really!
I have a dozen trees of peach, pear, apple, paw paw and some other stuff. I really really don't want to use fungicides and pesticides.
I was having some problems on a peach trees and a Honey Crisp apple tree. I'm in southern Michigan.
I have a degree in chemistry, and biology, and for my day job, I'm a doctor. And I tinker a lot. Organic gardener for a long time.
So anyway, around the graft on the peach tree, it had an open "sore" that encompassed about 40% of the circumference. NOT GOOD. The first big crotch had the same problem.
It had been oozing that thick gelatinous nastiness. There were a lot of wood lice (pill bugs, sow bugs, roly polies, Armadillidiidae), but I think they primarily feed on dead and dying plant tissue, except strawberries. I don't think they are the cause, just the symptom.
Both trees are in their 3rd year, and the HoneyCrisp apple tree had looked pretty miserable the last two years. So that's really since I planted it. It never thrived. Lots of roundish and irregular brown patches on most of the leaves, perhaps 1/8" to 1/4" in diameter, and they looked dried out and some looked shrunken. Some of the tips of the branches looked burned. It had this problem both years, but worse the second year (last year).
For various reasons, I became aware that some people make this ionic silver stuff to drink or to put on externally to kill bacteria, viruses, etc. I have no desire to drink the stuff, but I wondered if it would have any effect on my trees.
It turns out it's pretty easy to make, so I whipped up a batch and tried it starting with the first tiny leaves, and it seems to be working. I sprayed once a week for a month, then every two weeks or so.
If I can, I will attempt to post some before and after pictures, though I suck at that, so don't get your hopes up.
I was so overjoyed at inventing this, I did a patent search and found out somebody else beat me to it.
Since I now have no financial interest in this, I figure I should give it away as fast as possible to everyone who wants it.
Here's what you do:
Buy a cheap battery charger for car batteries, here's one as an example:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Schumach ... ccessories
I'll have to look at what mine is rated in amps. It's pretty low, an amp or two at the most.
Get a five gallon plastic bucket and fill it with water 2/3 of the way.
The people who drink the stuff mostly use distilled or reverse osmosis water, so they can measure the concentration more accurately. I just used plain old hard well water.
Get two pieces of pure silver, you can buy silver wire. I had some pure silver one ounce coins because that's what I had laying around. Clip one to each lead of the battery charger and hang them over the side of the bucket so the silver touches the water (like half way immersed), but the clips for the battery charger don't touch the water.
Turn the battery charger on for 1-3 hours until the water noticeably changes to a light grey color.
Boom, you're done.
Go spray your trees that are having various fungal or bacterial or viral problems, and let's find out what it fixes and what it doesn't.
I am also experimenting on a peach tree of a church friend that has long standing problems. Every single peach rots, every year for more than five years. I'll look at that one tomorrow and see how it's doing. It has only been sprayed three times.
I will try to post some before and after pictures tomorrow.