View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 After a fire? 

Post After a fire?
We had a grass fire roar through the back of our place in Umatilla County Oregon. It turned many leaves on many young shade trees brown and crispy. I have willow, maple, sycamore, and arbs that are in various stages.

Some trees every leaf is brown ... others most leaves are brown with a few green ones ( less than 10% green). The arbs are brown on the outside and some green on the inside.

SO, what are the chances that the trees will recover next spring? I have drip irrigation on all the trees.

FYI... no one was hurt in the fire.

dan or

Umatilla, OR

Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:45 am

Post Re: After a fire?
I expect the trees will try to push new leaves from secondary buds, if the branches are still healthy. I had one do that after almost complete failure of the leaves that came out early in the season. The second set looked small and rumpled and generally weird, but they kept the tree alive. It was normal the following year.

mh

Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:51 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: After a fire?
If the fire went through fast and it was only grass burning, I'd say your trees have a decent chance of recovering.

No guarantees. You'll have to take good care of them and wait and see.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]