View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 My first ever treeeeeeee! Please can sb check my research? 

Post My first ever treeeeeeee! Please can sb check my research?
OK, so as the title might make clear... I'm an imposter! I'm not growing a home orchard. Actually, I am planning on having 3 fruit trees in total, which is about the most I can cram into my small domestic garden! I have an old cooking apple which I love already in. I'm not sure of the variety, but it has lovely soft white fruits with a slight pinkish tinge. The additional trees that I am intending to plant are: an espalier apple up a large fence at the fairly sunny end of my garden (I live in Sheffield in the north of England, so 'sunny' is a relative term!), and a dwarf cherry tree in part sun part shade.

I have been reading up carefully on trees but the wealth of info is a bit panic-inducing for a newcomer! These are the first trees I've ever planted, so I'd really really like to check I've got it about right. Also, I do not have loads of cash, so this represents a considerable outlay of my budget for my first garden (I am growing lots of things from seed). If someone could just take a quick glance I would be so grateful!

* The espalier apple - I am looking at getting a Laxton's Fortune because I want something a bit unusual, though I can't find a supplier close to me so will have to mail order. But I went to an apple day recently and tasted one and it was really yummy! Also, I saw some beautiful espaliered Laxton's Fortune trees at a veg garden at Barnsley House at the weekend and was a bit inspired to give this variety a go by that. I was thinking of getting a maiden tree on MM106 rootstock and training it on. Would that work?

* The cherry - I am looking at a 2 year bare root bush trained Stella (because I would love an eating cherry that is self-fertile) and I need it fairly small, so Gisela 5 rootstock?? Would that be the one to get?

Thanks so much for being patient with me!

Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]