View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Alcoholic Aronia 

Post Alcoholic Aronia
I recently preserved my aronia crop in 100 proof vodka!

Take a mason jar, fill half way up with vodka, add clean aronia berries till you get to the top. Screw cap on tight and refrigerate. Should keep for years that way.

I figure I can add 3 or 5 berries to my wintertime cereal mix for an antioxidant kick. Whatever "juice" is leftover can be sweetened to taste and consumed out of a shot glass.

Teeth, prepare to turn blue!

Have thought about doing a similar thing with red apple peels left over from pie making.

Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:34 pm

Post Re: Alcoholic Aronia
I love it when people make recipes and experiments that taste good and offer new uses for stuff.

We make orange-aronia juice and it is super yummy and has all of the nutrition of the berry, but more palatable. I like it better than straight OJ.
John S
PDX OR

Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:01 pm

Post Re: Alcoholic Aronia
Hi John,

Next year I will try just sugaring them with excess sugar. No doubt they would be very sweet, but cheap to make too. 100 proof is not cheap. I think I paid 8 bux for a fifth of it.

But anyhow, the experiment will be interesting. Got the idea from some hot-pepper freaks who were preserving their chilis in vodka. Thought it was interesting as the difference between ethanol and vinegar-acetic acid is an oxygen atom!

Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]