View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 French Petite vs Petite 

Post French Petite vs Petite
Not as confident of the identity of the one on the right. Comments?

Attachments:
plums.jpg
plums.jpg [ 919.29 KiB | Viewed 1389 times ]
Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:03 pm

Post Re: French Petite vs Petite
I've seen that much variation in the appearance of the fruit on a single tree, and I've seen it for over 50 years. Location of the fruit in the tree, number of fruits in a given area, amount of light reaching the fruit, etc. all affect the shape, color and appearance. Incidentally, the original name of the variety is Prune D'Agen.

Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:44 am
Profile WWW

Thanks Lon. I was hoping you would respond on this one.

Last year somebody insisted to me that the Petite was distinct from the French Petite. This was my first chance to try the fruits side by side, though they came from trees over an hour apart and were at different stages of ripeness. Your info is appreciated.

Dave

Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:22 pm

There are selected clones of the variety, as well. I have three trees and one version called "Date" prune is a little later to ripen. And I'm sure there are seedlings of Petite that resemble it.. It's the most reliable EuropEan plum I grow. Prune D'Agen was the basis of the California dried prune industry at one time. The prunes are like candy, they are so sweet.

Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:41 pm
Profile WWW

Lon, I'd be much obliged if you were to bring/send some scions to the scion exchange next spring.

I'm looking for scion wood for European plums that do well here. I have a couple of root stocks as well as a peach tree I'd like to topwork to plum. Plus that large tree that might be green gage could spare a couple of limbs.

It seems like the exchange generally lacks much in the way of European plum scions. I've been disappointed the last several years.

I'd love to see some Europeans like Yakima, Coes Golden Drop, Brooks, Long John or whatever else is good and does well in this area. Don't care for Japanese plums.

Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:07 pm

Apologies if this sounds mercenary, but I do sell scions from my website. http://www.bunchgrapes.com/scions.html

Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:55 am
Profile WWW

Not at all. I'd forgotten because at my previous house I had all of the grapes I was going to need and my plum tree had about all the varieties it could handle.

I'll have a look.

Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]