View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Boron 

Post Boron
I read about the need for applying borax every 3 years - 1/4 pound per apple tree - but i have two questions. If I have grass in my orchard should I bump up the quantity to account for what the grass gets? and If our northwest soils are deficient, is there a safe level per acre to apply to blueberries, vegetables etc. JR

Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:15 pm

Post Re: Boron
I have never put borax on any apple tree. I am not convinced that it is as important as say, calcium.
John S
PDX OR

Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:05 pm

Post Re: Boron
I have heard that too much Boron is toxic and that it only needs trace amounts......one quarter pound even sounds like a lot to me....but yes, professional and commercial growers get a soil sample and then often (I think) use small amounts of Boron in some cases.

I tried Borax a couple years ago on a few trees where I was needing more fruit set but didn't notice a difference.....(then again the Spring weather the past two years has just not been conducive to giving good fruit set anyway.....so who knows? And maybe I was just too conservative and cautious in how much I applied because I knew you only want very little)

What I have heard a couple people recommend for trace elements is applying Azomite....that's something I want to research more.

Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]