View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Leaf Curl (Fungicide Question) 

Post Leaf Curl (Fungicide Question)
Will spraying for Leaf Curl still protect me from other infected trees that may be in my neighborhood?
Do the other tress (assuming there are more) also need to be sprayed to keep mine from getting the disease?

Using chlorothalonil in late fall, again in mid winter and again very early spring.

Jack

Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:06 pm

Post Re: Leaf Curl (Fungicide Question)
Jack,
This is a good question and I'm glad you asked it.
fungicides work on the tree they are sprayed on, in other words direct contact.
we use fungicides two ways as a preventative and a treatment.
fungi can be spreed in several ways generally. vector (insects) wind, water, people (gardening tools)
just like flowers there are many varieties of fungi, most are environment and host specific.
there are several fungicides and they too are environment and host specific as well as being fungi specific.

so just spraying a fungicide without consideration for the other issues I have stated might not help at all.
other trees in your area with disease increase chances for your trees mostly because they document the presents of the fungi in the environment. Distance between trees makes a big deference, trees that touch are more likely to share disease than trees further apart.

Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:15 am

Post Re: Leaf Curl (Fungicide Question)
I talked to a guy in Tacoma who pruned his peach trees into an espalier and then covered them with a tarp in January and February. He said it worked to keep the Peach leaf curl off. I am going to try it this year.
John S
PDX OR

Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]