View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 help identify unmarked fruit trees and rootstock 

Post help identify unmarked fruit trees and rootstock
Last year we bought a new property on the Oregon Coast (Curry County.) There are numerous unmarked fruit trees in the relatively young orchard; many have dead grafted sections (prior to purchase apparently goats got locked in with the young trees), but the rootstock has sprouted out and may be salvaged. I need help identifying the rootstock, so I know what fruit can be grafted on top. Any help appreciated. I'm posting the photos I've taken of the trees, leaves, blossoms, and bark on the following blog - http://amiddlinglife.wordpress.com/. I'm posting the photos slowly, but have 6 unidentified trees up so far. The previous owner told me about One Green World nursery, and I saw a few pots from Monrovia Nursery that she took at purchase. So I'm guessing that at least some of these trees/plants came from those locations.

Thanks to anyone who can help me figure out what I've got to play with.

Tue May 22, 2012 4:37 pm

Post Re: help identify unmarked fruit trees and rootstock
Practically everything, regardless of where it's purchased, seems to come from Monrovia, so I'm not sure how useful that information is. I'm also pretty sure that they're a wholesaler only, and if so, you won't find records to tie your plants specifically to their original purchaser(s). I'm hoping you might get that information from One Green World. It might take some kind of permission from the original owner/buyer to encourage the nursery to let that information out.

mh

Tue May 22, 2012 7:41 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks for the views and help. I've posted the rest of the unidentified photos on the blog now (amiddlinglife.wordpress.com.) I appreciate the assistance and am so excited to finally know a bit of what has been planted!

Thank you again.

Wed May 23, 2012 5:33 pm

I will now guess (no guarantees)

Tree 17 plum

Tree 18 I'm pretty sure is an apple

tree 19 pretty sure is a cherry

tree 20 pretty sure apple

tree 15 is an eleagnus-probably autumn olive

tree 16 pretty sure cherry

trees 6 and 13 dont know
14 bark looks like apple. Leaves?