View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 PAWPAWS DROPPING FRUIT 

Post PAWPAWS DROPPING FRUIT
MY 5 YR OLD 5 FT OVERLEESE TREE HAD 15 BEAUTFUL FRUITS, A SQUIRREL SAMPLED ONE AND NOW THE COMPLETE CROP IS ON THE GROUND. MOST ARE GOOD SIZED,SOMEWHAT SOFT BUT NOT FLAVORFUL. SEEDLINGS ARE ALSO DROPPING THEIR CROP. IRRIGATED SO WATER IS ADEQUATE. SOME ARE SMALL & FIRM, INEDIBLE. WILL THE LARGER SOFTER ONES FLAVOR IMPROVE OFF THE TREE, AND WILL THE SEEDS BE VIABLE?

CAUSE? HOT WEATHER? OVERSIZED CROP? NUTRIENT DEFICIENCY? THE SQUIRREL COULDN'T DO IT ALL
OKIE

Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:25 pm

Post Re: PAWPAWS DROPPING FRUIT
Maybe hot weather?

Mine suffer in the summer here when we don't have rain, and I don't water them.

They aren't native to dry states, although the Native americans moved them to Kansas. Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, etc. get a lot of rain in the summer.

That would be my best guess.
John S
PDX OR

Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:09 am

Thanks John-think you are right-107 yesterday. A few of the seedling fruits are hanging on - smaller and still green. I haven't tasted overleese before, so maybe the taste is normal. Will save seeds and see if they germinate.

Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:08 am

FOLLOW UP ON OVERLEESE PAWPAW. TREE HAS LEAFED OUT LIKE ITS SPRING - COMPLETE WITH NEW BLOOMS. ANY SUGGESTIONS AS TO CAUSE AND ANY TREATMENT NEEDED?
OKIE

Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]