View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 New Seedling Apple - Miss Jessamine 

Post Re: New Seedling Apple - Miss Jessamine
That's a funny observation about Red Delicious apples and I couldn't agree more. As a kid, I didn't know there were really any apples other than Red and Golden Delicious and Granny Smith. I still think Golden Delicious and Granny Smith have good flavor, but there are so many apples that have far superior flavor to Red Delicious. I've found that i tend to like those with a sweet/tart flavor like English varieties.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:48 pm

I am eating the very last of the stored Miss Jessamine apples right now. The texture is still great (not mushy). It seems to have lost some flavor though.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:45 pm

First blossom of 2013 on this tree, taken today 4/23/2013

Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:52 pm

Beauty! It seems to be taking. I can't wait to have it as a regular apple in a few years.
John S
PDX OR

Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:30 pm

I finally got around to grafting mine.

One of the things that struck me about this apple is that it got no special care yet seems to have been spared from codling moth last year.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:19 am

And here is the last blossom, taken 5/5/2013. So the bloom period this year was 4/23 to 5/5.

Sat May 18, 2013 11:04 pm

I grafted mine pretty late. All 5 or 6 took and look happy. I'll be interested to see if they are as disease and codling moth free as the ones from the mother tree last year.

Mon May 20, 2013 11:07 am

I was in the backyard taking some photos. Here is the other seedling tree that I planted the same day as the "Miss Jessamine" tree. It is about 6 feet tall.

For many years it was quite stunted but it has been really healthy the last few years. I wouldn't be surprised if it produces some apples next year.

Here is the "Miss Jessamine" tree for comparison (taken today). It is about 20 feet tall.

Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:20 pm

Wow, talk about what a difference a seed can make. Were these just 2 seeds from the same apple? I'm growing some seedlings right now also. 2 from a granny smith last year and another 2 or 3 from a gala this year. No idea what the male parent is though. It's a fun thing to do, even with its drawbacks. The 2 from the granny smith appear to be susceptible to powdery mildew. If you feel like taking some more scions, I'd love to see how it grows in Ohio next spring. I'll pay for shipping of course and a little extra for your labor.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:21 pm

sohoppy wrote:
Wow, talk about what a difference a seed can make. Were these just 2 seeds from the same apple? I'm growing some seedlings right now also. 2 from a granny smith last year and another 2 or 3 from a gala this year. No idea what the male parent is though. It's a fun thing to do, even with its drawbacks. The 2 from the granny smith appear to be susceptible to powdery mildew. If you feel like taking some more scions, I'd love to see how it grows in Ohio next spring. I'll pay for shipping of course and a little extra for your labor.

I don't remember if they were from the same apple. I was fairly clueless about growing apples from seed back then so I did not keep any notes.

I think it would be great if everyone grew a few apples from seed. It seems like some of the seedling trees adapt to their environment more than grafted trees. e.g. they may look stunted & sickly for many years, then all of a sudden they are super healthy and grow quickly. On the other hand I had one seedling (out of 3) which was always stunted and sickly so I cut it down.

I would be happy to send you some scions, just send me your address via private message.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:12 pm

I borrowed a 14' orchard ladder to pick the apples. Even with my 8' pole I cannot reach all the apples, so the tree must be about 25' tall.

I grafted a cutting onto semi-dwarf stock in March, and that tree is 7' tall now.

The apples are not quite fully ripe but a squirrel has decided to take a nibble out of many of them, plus the windy weather is knocking a lot of them down so I am trying to get the rest of them. I had a lot of them drop off in August, perhaps because I didn't give the tree any water?

Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:55 am

Rare deep watering is better if you aren't moving the trees and you don't want to have to water them. It is just an adjustment until the tree develops the deep roots that will protect it during the drought time of year. Also mycorrhizal fungi helps that too.
John S
PDX OR

Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:53 am

On Saturday I planted the potted Miss Jessamine tree (which is on M9 stock). So now I have two of them :)

Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:09 am

I just wanted to mention that I received my Miss Jessamine scions from Dave a couple weeks ago and I don't think I've seen better packaging from even a professional nursery. I'll be grafting three of them to rootstocks and the others will be grafted onto other established apple trees. I'll post results. Thanks, Dave!

Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:17 pm

sohoppy wrote:
I just wanted to mention that I received my Miss Jessamine scions from Dave a couple weeks ago and I don't think I've seen better packaging from even a professional nursery. I'll be grafting three of them to rootstocks and the others will be grafted onto other established apple trees. I'll post results. Thanks, Dave!
You're welcome! I am curious to hear how Miss Jessamine does in Ohio.

I still have about 100 scions in the refrigerator, in case anyone else wants some.

Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next