View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 relocating 2 pear trees 

Post relocating 2 pear trees
I have 2 pear trees that are too close to a lot of other trees so they don't get much light. Would somone please tell me exactly how to dig them up.
how far away to dig from trunk?
how deep to dig?
When to dig?
how to tell if I need to trim the root ball?
how much to trim the root ball?
How do I prune them? They haven't been pruned in 4 or 5 years.
the size of the new hole?
any special treatment after I relocate?
I am very new to gardening and I don't want to lose them. They produced beautiful pears two years ago when I removed a tree that was blocking a lot of light but they still don't get enough light.
Thank you for your help.

Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:11 am

Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:43 am
Profile WWW

We have successfully moved several fruit trees. We've just dug as big a root ball out as we can handle and cut the roots back so there are no torn ends and moved it immediately to the new hole. The important thing is to keep the water up to it (for the next year) and if it is warm shade it from the sun. If it is a large tree you may need a bobcat or similay to dig it up as you need as much of the roots as possible. On hot days for the first few months leave water constantly drippin onto it (we use large plastic bottles - as large as you can get - I use the ones cat litter comes in! - with a dripper put into the bottom).

Good luck.

NellyG :D

Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:13 am

Hi again - Sorry! :oops: I forgot to say to do it when they are dormant and to prune them back by at least a third!

Good luck

NellyG

Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]