View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 pear trees 

Post pear trees
I want to espalier pear trees, and just bought 2 espaliered pears from Portland Nursery. They have Bartlett, Anjou and Rescue on them. I know the Rescue pear is disease resistant, and they will pollinate each other, but I have hear controversy about whether it is good to have this 3 on one tree thing going on. Although I have paid for the trees, I don't pick up until tomorrow, and coul perhaps exchange if necessary. Any experience out there? thanks s

Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:14 pm

Not enough room for a single plant of each?

Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:58 am
Profile WWW

And look -- it's Tomorrow already! We have gone round & round with these 3, 4, or 5-in-one fruit trees... They're mainly a problem as 'stand alone' trees; where one variety usually dominates, and you end up with spindly branches shaded out by the vigorous ones.

But, in the case of Espaliering ... I don't foresee a problem..? {Thinking out loud}...if you train each limb along a designated wire (or direction), it will always get the light it needs to grow and produce.. Limbs of different varieties above and below should have equal opportunity to do the same. Hopefully, this is a successful trio for pollination, I'll assume so coming from Portland Nursery. They're already headed in various directions, and only need secured to their new home...

Actually, if these multi-(bud)-grafted fruit trees were all sold as espaliers, we wouldn't / shouldn’t hear as many problems with them? Sounds good to me ... any deer..? --- Good night :roll:

Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:04 am

Agree that most issues relating to standard multi variety trees should be easily dealt with by an espalier, speaking personally though it's nice to see individual trees come into leaf/flower separately, different but the same.

In my old garden I had fan trained 6 plum varieties and I always liked the fact that they did things slightly differently to each other.

Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:39 am
Profile WWW

Thank you for responding so quickly. They said pears are better in terms of disease resistance than apples. Forsee any problems with this--anjou, bartlett, rescue. (I lay awake last night thinking I would have done better to order from Raintree, and order Orcas and Rescue two disease resistant tress, and espalier them myself. Any thoughts?

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:25 am

Pears are easy to grow in the Portland area. You are better off just choosing the varieties you like and enjoying them. I have a problem with multiple varieties grafted on a single tree. As mentioned before, it is too difficult to keep the tree in good balance and shape. Seckel, Bartlett, Comice, Bosc are all excellent varieties and they grow very well in the Pacific Northwest.

Marc Camargo
fruit-tree.com nursery
Visit us at http://www.fruit-tree.com
Our motto: "Preservation by dissemination"

Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]