View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Fig Propagation + 

Post Fig Propagation +
Friends, it looks like two years ago(!) that I responded to the following Pome News article by Raymond Givan on propagating Figs: http://www.homeorchardsociety.org/article/25/

That article spured the folling disscission: viewtopic.php?t=76

...After giving my tried & true advice regarding my fig propigation experence, I did go on to begin "another batch." Well, two years later, success! Last week I gave away the last of a dozen "Brown Turkey" fig trees to friends (just in time to use that space to plant a gift Hardy Kiwi).

The method I described, of laying in 2/3's of a 2 foot cutting (pruned 'end' with a little 2nd year wood) worked well, again. As I was 'taught,' laying them in at an angle gives additional warmth to the forming roots, as opposed to 'sticking them' straight down into the cold ground. And, sand or potting soil has not been necessary -- it's been quite easy to designate a sunny portion of a flower bed or garden edge, slip them in, water them through the summer, then transplant them the following winter/spring, or -- the next... (took me two years to give each batch of one dozen away).

And - my two varieties are, Desert King, and Brown Turkey. You can't go wrong with either! I'm up into the hills, hot days & cool nights, but these figs have produced more consistently than any other fruit! Last year, with 7 trees, I couldn't eat (gorge), dry, or pass out 18 count egg cartons full fast enough!

The Desert Kings come on first; green skin W/ red flesh - they're honey sweet and irresistible! Just in time to keep things rolling, the Brown Turkey's ripen. Big, purple-brown, with purple interiors, they were my friend Helen Webb's most popular and best seller (W/ clients driving from Portland to Yamhill, OR to buy them by the pound). Figs need no pollinator, mine have shown no sign of disease or insect damage (just keep the ripe ones picked, do like Helen - make a summer morning sweep for ripe ones), and the deer won't touch them! They've a bitter 'latex like' white sap that stops all things chewing... And, they will likely bear from these inserted cuttings - then consistently and increasingly thereafter!

Anyway --- I'm hauling plenty of cuttings from both into the scion exchange http://www.homeorchardsociety.org/scion_exchange/ -- or the, "Fruit & Berry Cutting (Scion) Exchange." I generally see other figs there, but mine have proven themselves worthy of propagation, and I'd love to know more Oregonians were appreciating this magnificently tropical looking tree & fruit :D

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]