View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 fruit trees in the desert 

Post fruit trees in the desert
hi,

I've planted 2 pomegranate trees and a fig tree on my lot in the high desert in California. Each is about 15 feet from my septic tank. I'm wondering if any knows if I might have trouble with the tree roots invading my leach line.

Sun May 27, 2007 6:39 pm

Howdy, I don't know a thing about Pomegranate trees, but I do have figs; and yes, some of those fig ‘clumps’ are between my septic drain lines... If your septic tank is like mine (or most) it has a 'tight line' from its outlet to the first distribution box in your drain field (the line from the house is also tight). Unless you've a leak at your tank, or those ‘tight-lines,’ nothing should know it's there...

If the trees are near a leach line or in the drain field there could be problems. When I had my drain field dug the installer and the county sanitarian had a list of trees that were known to invade the lines; they both claimed my existing fruit trees were good neighbors and should not be problems. The drain field was actually designed around them. Since then I've replaced three of those trees with figs. I haven't asked… maybe you'd do it for us :wink: Call your County / City septic official; ours is called a 'Sanitarian,' and ask him / her -- then let us all know!

Sun May 27, 2007 9:03 pm

Thanks for your reply. Since the Fig tree is actually about 30 away from the leach line, it sounds like it will be ok. I'll call the county septic person just to make sure about both the pomegranate and figs. I'll post the answer. Thanks again!

Sun May 27, 2007 9:29 pm

I'm just digging up a leach line that a tree invaded with roots and rendered useless, even after rootering out the line since the roots also invade the gravel around it. The distance was 15 feet.

By the way, apples also grow quite well in your location.

USDA Zone 10a

Thu May 31, 2007 8:38 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]