View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Frost Problems 

Post Frost Problems
A friend of mine is expecting the have problems with their blossoms freezing on their young fruit trees because of where they live. Any tips on how to stop this :?:

Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:21 pm
Site Admin

I heard a nifty solution for this problem from Ted Swensen. Hang large-bulb Christmas lights in the tree, and then when there is a chance of freezing weather, plug them in. The heat will keep the blossoms from freezing. This would also help with late ripening fruit. Now is a great time of year to pick up some lights at a good price.

Steven

Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:26 pm
Profile WWW

Hmm... Great suggestion, but the nearest power source is probably a quarter mile away :? Any other ideas?

Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:35 pm

Very interesting idea. I've been thinking about this ever since I decided to grow a few pluot trees, despite my better judgement. I was considering builing a plastic tent around them. Money...work...eyesore. But the lights seem like such a coold idea, *if* they work. Very festive too. I think I'll go out and get some and maybe try it on my plum trees next March.. :?

Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:14 am

The sales person i saw at the nursery yeterday suggested I throw a cloth over the flowering fruit trees should a frost be on the cards. That means we've got to keep a close eye on the weather during the cool months. Another person has told me that a bucket of hot water left by the tree will leave enough humidity in the branches throughout the night to prevent frost from settling. I haven't tried either way but I would like to know too of any other frost proofing methods.

Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]