View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 cherry tree problem 

Post cherry tree problem
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me. I have 3 young cherries trees (Rainier, Lapins, and Surefire) on semi-dwarf rootstock, about 4 years old now. The last two years they have all flowered well, but the fruit drops off very early. It does seem as though the flowers are being pollinated- small fruits formed and dropped off anywhere between pinhead- and pea-sized.

All three are very vigorous trees(6' shoots on one last year) and are sitting on the edge of our septic system. Is this why the fruit drops off? I know that fruit trees will sometimes not flower due to over fertilization- these are flowering, but perhaps this is causing the fruit to drop?

There is also some leaf damage on the oldest leaves close to the trunk ( the shoots look perfect). On the sweet cherries the leaves have tiny black speckles and are yellowing. On the pie cherry there are brown splotches and small holes. I have a picture I can email if anyone thinks they can help.

Should I try to move them? They are about 2" caliper. Or could they be root pruned to slow down growth? Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Kelle

Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:03 pm

Premature fruit drop of this type could be caused by lack of (or incomplete) pollination. Cherries have a very complex set of pollination compatibilities, no idea on the compatibility of your selections.

Could also be a lack of potash and excess nitrogen.

I'm no expert though.

Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:14 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]