[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Orchard Society Forums - View topic - Advice for container planting some just arrived 1 year ships
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Advice for container planting some just arrived 1 year ships 

Post Advice for container planting some just arrived 1 year ships
Hello Oh Wise Ones,

My 10 lovely whips have arrived from North Carolina and I'm going to be container planting them. Any advice on special issues I should address as I plant them up? I'm putting them in 12" x 11" fiber pots until Spring, in a nice compost/potting soil mix. Should I do anything else to take special are of these babies until March? They're all about 36" tall.

Thanks all so much,
Cyndi

Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:59 pm

Okay, did everyone get a good laugh? Whips not Ships. :lol:

Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:01 pm

Just keep their hull’s ... I mean roots from freezing! Remember, a potted plant can freeze from the sides in, top down & bottom up. I’d huddle their pots together and burry them all with insulating soil of some kind.

So, these are first year 'whips' grafted last Spring, grown this Summer and shipped now? Or more likely Budded just over a year ago, giving you two year roots and a solid years top growth?

Be planning on, or digging those "ten dollar holes for your five dollar trees!" Actually, there's no reason (I can think of) not to start planting them in their permanent locations. Also, decide on their ultimate shape: Central Leader or Open Vase ... or were you going to Espalier them..? Guess I'll hold off on any pruning advice...

Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:13 am

Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:43 pm

Cyndi, your potting and grouping sounds fine; just make sure the roots get some moisture this winter. You could also bury the temporary pots in some loose soil for this winter; I wouldn't go to the expense of Bubble-wrap. Or bunch them together and toss garden / flowerbed soil between and around them... I wouldn't mound it too high around their bases.

30 Gal. containers sound like a good plan … just don't invite me when it's time to haul them off :wink:

An open vase puts their 'spread' up higher, a central leader keeps it lower. I like my trees up and away from my eyes, mower, deer and kids (in about that order). A backyard Orchardist I knew (passed HOS Member) did nothing-but central leader trees; they were in pretty tight quarters too... that's actually a good question - I'd say they likely even out. You generally get your best production further from the trunk, so you're going to want the branches to expand either way. Another nice thing about an open vase shape is your ability to eventually climb into the center to harvest and prune...

If you decide on an open vase shape you'll have to ‘prune down’ to a bud at your highest desired limb; then expect 3 or 4 buds below it to push 'limbs' too. - And - keep in mind the height of your pot and the fact your trees will eventually be several inches lower when planted out. As far as how best to establish a central leader ... I forget!

You might also place a stiff stake inside the larger pots, for tying them against wind damage... Otherwise, your entire lives are ahead of you :D

Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]