View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Cherry for Timber 

Post Cherry for Timber
When Dr. Maxine Thompson was breeding cherries at Oregon State University, she amassed a considerable collection of sweet cherry varieties. One tree, labeled "4825" towered above the collection, fully twice the size of everything else. I had the notion the tree would have value for cherry wood and obtained a start when the collection was removed. To give an idea of the vigor, the tree was over 8 feet tall in the nursery row. At 15 years of age the trunk was already big enough for a saw log. Now, at nearly 30 years old, the trunk is more than two feet thick at six feet above the ground.

The fruit of this cherry is white with a very slight pink cheek on a few fruits, though the height of the tree makes picking nearly impossible.

I still think the variety could be useful for cherry wood for cabinets and such, or just for a super fast flowering tree.

I have a quantity of scions saved this year and will make them available. Go to www.bunchgrapes.com to contact me.
-Lon Rombough

Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:57 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]