[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Orchard Society Forums - View topic - Can I ask about blueberries?
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Can I ask about blueberries? 

Post Can I ask about blueberries?
I had 3 sunshine blueberries planted in 2 gallon size pots for the last 3 years. I decided they were not growing and thought they might be rootbound. I bought some 1/2 wine barrels and got ready to transplant them. When I got rid of the old soil, I found each must have been VERY rootbound in a 4 inch pot when they were previously planted. I could still fit the entire root system into a 4 inch pot. I tried to massage the roots to break up the mass but they the roots were so bound up I didn't get anywhere. I finally resorted to cutting them apart with pruners and then spreading them and repotting. I don't think I destroyed a majority of the roots. Do you think they will grow or would I be better off just buying new bushes? I plan to watch and see if they grow but I thought I'd ask some opinions. Thanks for all the help.

Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:14 pm

Well, I have no problem talking about blueberries on a fruit-growing forum (and I gave one away at the scion exchange and no one forbade me or it the door, so I don't expect complaints from anyone else, either).

I don't know Sunshines, but they must be tough plants to have survived more than 3 years essentially in 4" pots. I'm sure they'll grow since you removed the encircling roots. I'd expect a couple of years before they really look happy and start producing for you, since even ones that don't seem to have been abused have taken a year to settle in in my garden.

mh

Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:43 pm
Profile WWW

Post I agree
I agree with Marsha on the roots. Berries of all kinds are completely legit ,as are all fruits.
JohnS
PDX OR

Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]