View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 bagging, netting...SWD are here (again) 

Post bagging, netting...SWD are here (again)
Just thought I'd post that I have seen evidence of spotted-winged Drosophila (SWD) in my raspberries and maybe even one cherry this year. I had put on a few of my homemade drawstring bags on the raspberries but I was delayed in really keeping on top of it. Suddenly it seemed like the berries were ripening! I have put on my bags to cover what I can though I need more bags. I clearly have had some damage but it isn't too bad. I finally finished putting nets over my blueberry plants which already had berries ripening so I hope I wasn't too late. Usually, I have them covered soon after they have set fruit. The press has also had small stories about it since I recently saw a small article in The Oregonian and heard a news story on the tv about the SWD threat. The photo shows a very mushy berry from larvae damage. So for those folks who have not encountered SWD, keep your fingers crossed that it doesn't find your fruit!

Attachments:
badberry.JPG
badberry.JPG [ 132.8 KiB | Viewed 1482 times ]
Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:31 pm

Post Re: bagging, netting...SWD are here (again)
I had a few pie cherries that looked rotten and may have been victims of SWD. It hasn't gotten too bad yet in my garden.
John S
PDXOR

Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]