View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Suspected Fire Blight in young Pear Trees 

Post Suspected Fire Blight in young Pear Trees
I help run a community orchard in North Portland where I suspect fire blight has hit two of our trees. One is a Bosc Pear and another is a Seuri Asian Pear and both are about 2-3 years old. They are about 30 feet apart with several trees in between them. The disease is only showing up in the foliage (I can't find anything abnormal on the stems or branches). It's starting on the outer edge of the leaves and starts as an orange-red, then turns black, and then a crispy dried brown. There is very little leaf curl, and only a few leaves are completely infected (it tends to be just the outer edges). Nonetheless, about 3/4 of the foliage of the Bosc Pear is infected and almost half of the Seuri seems to be hit. I am going to drop by the orchard on Thursday and will take some photographs, but for now I found a couple of similar images online:

So wondering if this is indeed fire blight and if so is it worth trying to save these trees? There are a good number of other young pome fruits in the same area.

Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:30 pm

Post Re: Suspected Fire Blight in young Pear Trees
I have read about fireblight in other fruit forums and I did a little on-line research today. I don't know how prevalent it is around here and I don't know if this is the time of year when one would see problems. However, do you see any signs of the so-called "shepard's hook" which is supposed to be a distinctive feature? It would be nice to see the photos of your trees when you can get them. I took a photo of one leaf on my Honeysweet pear tree which has a blackened edge/section though I am not concerned about it. I don't have many leaves left on my Asian pear tree so there weren't many to look at. I know this is probably not much of an answer but I'm not convinced you may have anything more than the leaves shutting down for winter. Anyone else have an opinion?

redberry

Attachments:
HoneysweetLeaf.JPG
HoneysweetLeaf.JPG [ 151.04 KiB | Viewed 111 times ]
Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:06 pm

As redberry said, “I'm not convinced you may have anything more than the leaves shutting down for winter.” ...those were my thoughts as well. If it’s not detrimental to the fruit or actually ‘killing’ the tree, it may simply be the nature of things.

Also, those are very young trees; keep the grass from their root zone, deep water in summer, protect them from bark damage, watch for serious insect predation and they should eventually establish themselves to the point of fending off most anything...

Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:50 am

Take a picture next year if it happens to rule out rust. I would search for rust images online to see if you see one that looks familiar. If you don't recognize it, send the picture here next year which would improve our likelihood of recognizing it. We don't get a lot of fireblight here, unlike other places. You could also look up images of fireblight.
John S
PDX OR

Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]