View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 book review 

Post book review
Just went through Apples of North America by Tom Burford. He covers 192 varieties, many of them southern heirlooms, along with some modern and more common varieties. Each gets one page, which is not very full. Basically there are a couple sentences about the apple, then a sentence or two on each of history, exterior description, interior description, tree characteristics, disease resistance, and season of ripening. He also includes other names, uses, and storage quality. In terms of apple descriptions, it is not nearly as complete as in Manhart's book. For those who have interests in southern heirloom varieties, the information presented is more useful than that in Calhoun's book, though it covers fewer varieties than Calhoun's book. The book also contains a chapter each on orchard design, planting and cultural management, propagation, and apple products.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:52 pm

Post Re: book review
Thanks for reviewing this. I absolutely love Marnhart's book. Marcia on this list helped me find out about that one. I also love the Orange Pippin website to help inform about apple varieties.
John S
PDX OR

Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]