View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 grafting sweet and sour cherries together 

Post grafting sweet and sour cherries together
Does anybody have experience grafting sour and sweet cherries to the same rootstock, or to one another?

n

Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:38 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: grafting sweet and sour cherries together
Between sweet and sour cherry and to each other, Yes, have done lots with cherry. The reported biggest obstacle is when working sweet cherry on prunus mahaleb roots sometimes. For example I have lots of seedlings of a certain line of prunus mahelab that are known to be excellent of compatibility with both types of cherry.

I think all the cherry stock including the dwarfing krymsk-5 the HOS provides would work for both. If in doubt just graft sweet cherry first and then the other. If I was going to do it I would pick one of the self fertile sweet cherry types that bloom a little later than usual, then the sweet cherry will overlap sour cherry bloom enough to pollinate both. I have a Black Gold which would make a good late blooming and self fertile choice but that one is prone to diseases here.

Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:32 pm

Post Re: grafting sweet and sour cherries together
I have Compact Stella on Colt rootstock that has a couple of sour cherries grafted to Compact Stella. Probably Montmorency and another similar clear juiced one.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]