View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Grafting tomatoes 

Post Grafting tomatoes
I am intrigued by grafting tomatoes. Has anyone on this list tried it? I have grafted many fruit trees and bushes, but no tomatoes. It doesn't sound that hard. Check out this article on mother earth news:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic- ... z2iMnv84D7

John S
PDX OR

Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:33 am

Post Re: Grafting tomatoes
I have tried grafting tomatoes, but all my attempts failed granted I only did a total of 5 grafts. I have sucessfully grafted peppers though. I did about 6 peppers grafts and 3 of them took. This was before I even fooled with fruit trees. But I have not done any nightshade grafting since.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:58 am

I tried purchased grafted tomatoes last year and I have to say I was not impressed. They didn't do any better than the ones I started from seed. I watched a you tube thing on how it's done and it seemed tricky.

Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:22 pm

Here is a new, different article on grafting tomatoes, focusing more on technique and less on defeating diseases:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic- ... .14%20GFSS

It's one of those things like biochar, aquaponics and biodynamic gardening that I plan to do but haven't got around to yet.
John S
PDX OR

Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:50 pm

In the Demonstration Garden of the Multnomah Master Gardeners, we did a fairly careful test of grafted vs. ungrafted tomatoes of the same varieties. We were careful about keeping soil, fertilization, and sunlight the same. We weighed the output of each plant individually. We had eight plants of four varieties. The grafted plants outproduced the ungrafted plants 2:1 in weight of tomatoes.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:45 pm

Good data. And nice job on your golf game.
John S
PDX OR

Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]