View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 apple identification 

Post apple identification
At the recent propagation fair we got a scion labeled "breadfruit" and one labeled "Red Spyred Stayman" that I would like to know more about. I have found information on Stayman (bred from Winesap) but not Spyred Stayman. I can't find any information on an apple called "breadfruit". Thank you.

Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:47 pm

Post Re: apple identification
Red Spyred Stayman is probably a sport from Stayman. Americans typically like red apples more than any other color, so breeders are always trying to make or find red __________, so they can sell more of them.
John S
PDX OR

Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:38 am

Post Re: apple identification
Many apples are given names by those who’ve ‘discovered them’ … some being ‘discovered’ in an abandoned orchard, thus ‘renamed’ by the finder… I’ve never heard of a “Breadfruit” apple. But when I’ve helped graft on the Botner Collection (over 4,000 apples! http://seedlingapples.wordpress.com/nic ... -apples-2/ -- there’s a whole bunch of apples I’ve never heard of :roll:

I wish more of those having brought scions to the exchange also monitored this forum, maybe they’d have an answer? My guess with the “Red Spyred Stayman” that there’s some ‘Northern Spy’ mixed with it. Near impossible to say, though. Some feel that’s part of the fun & excitement of the exchange – propagating an ‘unknown’ and perhaps ‘rediscovering’ a gem. Then you can describe it to the world :P

Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]