View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 APPLE SCAB 

Post APPLE SCAB
Hi All,
I'm looking for information on remedies for Apple Scab. I have a two year old Breaburn that is fruiting this year for the first time. I have plucked all but the largest fruit. It seems to have a bad case of Scab. Can I help the tree this late in the fruit set? Is it possible to rid the tree of this disease or should i start over with anew resistant variety? (loosing 2 years of enjoyment)
I'll try organic remedies if they work, but am not opposed to fungicides if that's what it takes.
Thank you
MGB

Tue May 27, 2014 1:17 pm

Post Re: APPLE SCAB
It will get better the bigger and healthier the tree gets, but I wouldn't think twice about grafting it over to Liberty, Goldrush, or Spitzenberg given the chance. If you have enough space, just add some of these trees, and if the Breaburn never comes through, saw the top and re-graft..

Tue May 27, 2014 11:03 pm

Braeburn may be my ‘favorite apple’ ...though that’s generally the last one I’ve eaten… Scab is mainly a ‘skin deep’ affair, and though I’ve not had scab problems with my Braeburn, it seems to fluctuate enough to withstand some ‘bad years.’

When I think of ‘scab,’ I think of Ashmead’s Kernel, Orange Pippin, Ribston Pippin, Hudson’s Golden Gem… all of the ‘russet’ apples with ‘potato skins,’ how do we stand them? Peel them, juice them …or just grind a bit longer while chewing. So like Eric T first recommended, I’d give it time … or wait for a few more suggestions on scab prevention, which I’ve long ago given up on (I’ve an apple press and juice them 8) )

Wed May 28, 2014 12:23 pm

I have Braeburn and many other apples. My Braeburn doesn't have scab, but several other varieties do. Spitzenberg generally has more scab than Braeburn. Fungal compost tea or Serenade help with that. Pruning and all healthy practices are also helpful.
John S
PDX OR

Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:51 pm

All god advice, thanks so much.
Ill, try the Serenade as it is such broad spectrum and organic to boot. Grafting may be an option in the future if this variety doesn't meet my expectations.
Boy, my Honey Crisp is really outperforming the Breaburn. No problems with that one.
Thanks again,
MGB

Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]