View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 2014: SWD report 

Post 2014: SWD report
I thought I'd post a quick update on my experience with spotted-wing Drosophila for this year. In the past, I have had some issues with them with my ever-bearing raspberries but I seem to have some control by bagging the berries before they ripen. Of course, I can't bag every single berry. This year I did not see any obvious evidence of SWD through June. Since I had to go away for a few days around July 4th, I removed some of the bags to make it easier for someone else to pick berries. After my return, it seemed like the berries were fine, but these past few days, I have picked berries which have the characteristic "soggy middle" from the SWD. At this point, the berries are slowing down so I hope to catch up on the bagging again to prevent the population from increasing a lot.

redberry

Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:37 pm

Post Re: 2014: SWD report
That is an interesting effect. We didn't have much of an effect on our raspberries. I am planning on removing my late blackberries and only growing early ones. I had so few cherries this year-pollination? that it wasn't a problem. Peaches haven't ripened yet.
John S
PDX OR

Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]