View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Grafting with Prunus armeniaca mume 

Post Grafting with Prunus armeniaca mume
Does anyone know if Prunus armeniaca, or more specifically Prunus armeniaca mume, is more closely related to plums, apricots, or peaches? I would like to know if I could graft a Prunus armeniaca mume onto a Prunus domestica or Prunus cocomilia rootstock, since I already plan on growing plums.

Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:06 pm

Post Re: Grafting with Prunus armeniaca mume
Prunus armeniaca mume is the most related to apricot. Most of the time will work long term with any peach. Most of the time with St julien plum (prunus instititia) which St julien is very closely related to prunus domestica. So, even though it's not common practice I guess maybe over 50% chance of a long term graft to prunus domestica. I mostly am going by some research from what I remember trying something similar last year.

Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:19 pm

Post Re: Grafting with Prunus armeniaca mume
F.Y.I. I’ve had some success with rooting Ume cuttings from winter pruning in the Portland area. Crudely pushing the sticks into ground that had been previously used as a composting and then a sawdust holding area. January pruning. About 80% take. My Cultural practice is bad - after allowing soil to dry in spring to cracking- still had about 50% survival. I now try not to prune anywhere near a rainy season. My Ume is the white blossom not pink, and does not appreciate the wet. :roll:

Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]