View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Blooming Gravenstein 

Post Blooming Gravenstein
I planted a Gravenstein in 2012 and it decided to bloom a few weeks ago (for the first time)..... I guess it won't be making apples in the spring.....

Sorry, just a vent...... :(

Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:56 am

Post Re: Blooming Gravenstein
Amazing :P -- and welcome to our Forum ~

Gravenstein’s are weird :roll: They’re the fastest growing apple tree I know, they're both ‘spur and tip-bearing,’ they’re ‘biennial bearers’ (will cycle between extremely heavy & light crops), they’re a ‘triploid’ (needing pollen from two other sources) ...and they bloom early. But not this early!

I’ve a massive Gravenstein tree and consider them a must-have variety. I wouldn’t worry about the winter blooming… though I’ve never noticed mine bloom ‘this late.’

I’d mainly consider pollinators for it. It would be great if you could devote a couple of it’s ..lesser limbs to a graft each of Yellow Transparent and, if you can find any scions, Summer Red. I’ve other trees, but the key is bloom-time. And as mentioned, Grav’s are early - so complementary pollinators must bloom at the same time, which the two mentioned do.

Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:44 pm

I take it you don't live in New Zealand.

If it wasn't a complete bloom, perhaps some more flowers will open in the spring.

Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:35 am

I planted it next a Liberty for pollenation, It didn't bloom last year at all but this year it had about 8 blossoms (but it's only 4 ft tall)
Not NZ, SW Washington (Camas)

Thanks guys, maybe it will still have some blossoms left for the spring!

Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:35 pm

Weird bloom time has happened to me many times before. Don't sweat it.
John S
PDX OR

Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]