View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 'Tis the season to get scions, 

Post 'Tis the season to get scions,
Fa la la la la, la la la la
In this goal we must be tryin'
Fa la la la la la la la la
It will bring us good fruit karma
Fruit for health not just Big Pharma

Scion exchange/Fruit Propagation Fair is in March. Don't wait until then, because the scions won't last as long. Scions are dormant now. Collect now. Stone fruit/quinces only in dry weather.

John S
PDX OR

Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:20 pm

Post Re: 'Tis the season to get scions,
Today is a perfect day to cut scions. I just finished cutting a bunch of "Miss Jessamine" scions.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:55 pm

I will not be able to attend the scion exchange. But there are a lot of scions to be had in my yard. I started doing some pruning, only to feel guilt that nobody would get them. So here is my feeble offering. I'm going to list what I have below, and if any of you want to get some scions, you are welcome to come get them (in Corvallis). I'll continue to slowly, gradually get the winter pruning done, but what I cut will go to yard waste.

Apples
Hudson's Golden Gem (if you really wanted the tree, I might be convinced)
Apricot
Tydeman's Late Orange
Golden Russet
Spire Maypole (columnar red fleshed crab, this one is probably coming out entirely, if you want the tree, this one is still small and young)

Cherries
Lapins
Surefire

Pears
Grand Champion
Orcas

Plums
Date Prune (except it ripens way too early for that)
Franklin or Imperial Epineuse
Petite
Seneca (this tree is destined to come out, so if you want the whole tree, not much arm twisting will be in order)

Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:14 pm

Dave- tell me about the maypole spire. I thought that was a pretty good crab. Nick BOtner said it didn't get disease. Why don't you like it? I might come and get it.
JohnS
PDX OR

Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:51 pm

I take it you dislike the Hudson's Golden Gem? I'm curious why... I've heard great reports about that variety.

Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:30 pm

The things I like about it: productive, relatively disease resistant, Oregon heirloom apple.
What I don't like about it: mild, sweet flavor. That's not what I look for in an apple. That's what you get in a grocery store apple. I want one that will explode in my mouth with strong flavors of every kind. Not too sound like too much of an extremist or anything. :)
John S
PDX OR

Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:41 pm

Loved your singing (above) John :mrgreen:

...I’ve likely fallen behind on the newest and tastiest apples.. having missed too many All About Fruit Shows, but ‘back in the day,’ Hudson’s Golden Gem was the winner of our AAFS apple tasting weekend, and I agreed. For a russeted apple, I found it tender and delicious, so I grafted it around my yard. But, I’ve not found it to be all that consistent a bearer, though it wasn't placed in prime locations…

For awhile I was on a ‘sharing it with friends kick’ as I’d graft it on unproductive or boring trees of friends. Can’t say I’ve gotten much feedback ...or they’re just being polite :|

Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:39 am

I really like Hudson's - the tree is just in an unfortunate location.

John - the Maypole Spire does seem to be quite disease resistant (it is young, about a meter tall). I would say the biggest issue is simply that (like every other crab) the apples are small. And while it has only produced a few fruit, they are not highly flavored like those of a Wickson. While there isn't a great expectation of flavor with any columnar, the other columnars it is with at least produce fruit large enough to slice and dry.

Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:16 pm

Thanks for the intel all... even if there's no consensus. ;)

Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]