[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Orchard Society Forums - View topic - Article: Pruning Kiwi
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Article: Pruning Kiwi 

Post Article: Pruning Kiwi
This is a dedicated thread for discussing the article

Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:57 pm

Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:33 pm
Post Comment
I have kiwi vines that are 7 years old; But i have not gotten aney frute yet! Thay blume; and get little kiwi; But than fall off; I planted some new ones this past summer In Va, I prun them in the wenter; and summer; ??

Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:46 am
Site Admin

Are you sure you have a male? Kiwis need a male & female plant.

Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:06 pm
Profile WWW
Post Comment
what kind of kiwi tree do I have. The leaves have a round shape with a pointed tip. The leaves stems are fuzzy and red?. How do I know if it is male or female, or if I have both?. What is the exact pruning method.

Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:16 pm

This answer's about a month late :? If your kiwis' leaves & stems are "fuzzy" - I suspect you have a "Fuzzy Kiwi!" The other two varieties: Arguta, or "Hardy Kiwi;" and Kolomikta, or "Arctic Kiwi" - have smooth fruit & leaves. The "red colored stems" are also indicative of Fuzzies.
Male or Female? Only the flower shows for sure! In my copy of Raintree Nursery's spring 2005 catalog (on page fiftyeight) there's a beautiful pair of Fuzzy Kiwi flower photos - a male & female. If you were to contact them @ http://www.raintreenursery.com/ or ph. # 360-496-6400 and request this catalog, I think you'd be able to distinguish your vine's sex.
Suggestion two: when it's in bloom, take a sample to a good nursery (call them first) to compare with their Fuzzy Kiwi blooms - I wouldn't trust anyone's judgment but your own. And three; do the same with a Saturday visit to the HOS Arboretum.
As for pruning... if you backtrack to the root article of this discussion - you could hardly find a better description!

Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]