View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Forum Spam 

Post Forum Spam
Can we have this forum thread removed?
I would also suggest removing leggera1 from forum membership in the hopes that would let him know this sort of thing is not appreciated.

Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:34 am
Site Admin

We seem to be having a bit of forum spam recently. I have been removing the topics, and deleting/banning the posters as I see it, though often it is a automated computer program causing it.

I am looking into ways to combat it, but for now, the best thing to do is to ignore it until I delete it.

Steven

Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:43 am
Profile WWW

I'll do my best to scrap it too. When it's posted at the end of any thread I've contributed to I'll get an e-mail, and if I'm online, check it out. But when we're away... the mice will play!

Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:56 am
Site Admin

I've installed a new set of scripts to help combat the bot registrations. Almost 48 hours and no new spam bot sign ups, but we will see how it holds out.

Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:09 am
Profile WWW

...been holding my breath too... Nice work Steven; and thanks for all you do! As far as my participation around here, it's a privilege. But we've some extremely knowledgeable members who are not online, as well as those who are – but don’t always check in. As I try not to play The Shell Answer Man (anyone remember him?), I do try to answer anything I feel capable of; as I feel our Society’s future is very-much online.

As retirement packages decrease, along with free-time & lot sizes … the ability to check-in on an as-needed basis to a forum / resource such as this will be increasingly valuable - if not a necessary to attract and maintain new members.

And though I hear nothing but praise about you (Steven) while visiting with long-time members -- I don't know how much of that praise gets back to you..? So eat it up! Your efforts reflect the Home Orchard Society's future
:D

Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:47 pm

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:07 pm

I wonder. Can the ADMIN for this forum delay posting privileges for 7-14 days after signing up?

I notice that a lot of spammers post their junk right after signing up. Maybe they would forget to come back if there was a 10 day waiting period!

Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:41 pm

Or maybe at least have to actually submit a request to join and wait for moderator approval, like some of the Yahoo Groups I belong to? If you actually have to say something about why you want to join, is a bot likely to be able to talk about a desire to learn about fruit?! And a waiting time would be good too!
Dave
lotus026

Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:42 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]