View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Care of Scions for grafting 

Post Care of Scions for grafting
After collecting the scions, what is the best way to store them till use for grafting: specifically, should the ends be dipped in a weak chlorine solution and wrapped with damp paper towels before placing in a ziplock bag in the cool/ damp location (veggie drawer of refrigerator), or just placed in the ziplock and cool place.
Thanks- Thia

Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:12 pm

Post Re: Care of Scions for grafting
Thia,

Until you receive more/better information, you may find the following to be helpful.

http://www.seattletreefruitsociety.com/ ... orage1.pdf

Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:45 pm

I use wetted newspaper instead of paper towels. Seems the paper towels will mold quicker. The newspaper holds its shape better when opening the bag, removing a piece of scion, and returning to storage. I use the bags that my newspaper comes in to store the scion. Scion should be 10" - 12" long because the ends tend to dry out and turn brown after about three to four months in the fridge. If you cut the scion pieces too short and they dry out a little from each end it leaves very little usable grafting material. Keep the scion where the temperature will remain constant such as in one of the fridge drawers.

Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:56 pm

I have a family who eats at the dinner table every night, and I collect a lot of scions. I can't imagine leaving that quantity of scions in the fridge or asking my wife to clear out a huge area of the fridge for scions. We only have one fridge. I store my scions in an outbuilding shed that is unheated. It works great. Other than that, I follow Dubyadee and Greg's storage techniques.
John S
PDX OR

Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]